Saturday, December 12, 2009

Is it okay to use milk instead of heavy cream for creme brulee?

No, I have tried to use milk as a substitute and it doesn%26#039;t work. Condensed/evaporated milk works as a better substitute but I would stick with heavy cream.|||Try using canned milk like carnation instead.|||No, the milk doesn%26#039;t have enough fat protien to maintain the texture. The creme brulee would not set well at all, and bevery runny|||no - won%26#039;t work|||I just made creme brulee the other day and I think it needs heavy cream. I used half heavy cream and then some half and half. It was way too rich but I think it needs the heavy cream in order to set properly. Try it and see... I%26#039;m sure it will taste good no matter what.|||Yes and no. Yes because it is a cream milk and cream are the same. No because it might make it to mushy.|||No, I%26#039;ve tried this with not only creme brulee but also with other recipes and have never been satisfied with the results.





Even if you use whole milk, and not the lower fat varieties, it is too thin and may break (separate into water and fat) once you subject it to the cooking process.





Bottom line: stick with heavy cream for better flavor, texture and appearance.|||Try light whipping cream?|||No cause milk does not have the thickness of heavy cream. No matter how you work you will never achive the thickness. And why would you want to ruin a %26quot;Creme Brulee%26quot; Yum Yum.|||Sorry, but absolutely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment