Saturday, December 12, 2009

Difference between creme fraiche and soured cream, can i swap one for the other in a recipie?

No, they are not the same and I would not recommend swapping one for the other... Creme fraiche has a higher fat content and the consistency is very different to sour cream.





It is not a %26quot;thou shalt not%26quot; thing though! You can substitute one for the other in certain dishes, but not others. Experience will teach you which works best in which dishes...





When enriching a gravy or sauce (for example) I would never use sour cream, only creme fraiche and if you are out of CF, use ordinary double cream (=US heavy cream) instead.





As a rule of thumb, I whack sour cream into cold mixtures such as salad dressing or dips which call for a %26quot;tangy%26quot; taste, but only cream or creme fraiche into anything hot, not least because sour cream can take ages to mix into a hot sauce and can stay lumpy if I don`t watch it!





If you are out of sour cream, try adding natural yogurt, especially the heavier %26quot;Greek style%26quot; ones.


If you are out of CF and double/heavy cream, you can also substitute a spoon or two of cream cheese such as Italian mascapone.





I am not a professional cook, but these %26quot;rules%26quot; work for me!YMMV!|||Creme fraiche is a thicker consistency than soured creme, however saying that I often swap one fro the other. I also use plain/low fat yoghurt instead.|||You will not get the same result. On average the butterfat content of sour cream is 18%, creme fraiche about 34%.


I cook with both and never substitute for reasons of flavor, etc.


Chef Jack Garrison|||Hi hon! Think creme fraiche is slighly sweeter than soured cream - but both work equally well when cooking - shouldn%26#039;t make that much difference to be honest! xx





EDIT: Thanks Chef Jack G - I really didn%26#039;t know that! I%26#039;ll remember that in future - I didn%26#039;t have a clue! :o) Cheers buddy! x|||sour cream is quite sharp, add a small amount of lemon juice to creme fraiche to give it that sharp flavour

No comments:

Post a Comment