Saturday, December 12, 2009

Can I use creme fraiche to make carbonara or do I need double cream?

Any other ingredients you use to make it extra special?|||I make it the traditional way with pancetta, cream, egg yolks, salt, and lots of black pepper. Nothing else.|||I%26#039;ve done that myself and I really liked the results. It%26#039;s definitely tangier than with just cream, so if you want just a little bit of tang, I%26#039;d use some of each. You can always stir in a little more of the creme fraiche at the end until it%26#039;s to your liking.


I definitely think that using some kind of dairy product in carbonara helps, though some food purists don%26#039;t agree. It may not be strictly traditional, but when I have left it out in the past, the beaten egg yolks turn into weird little grainy scrambled bits instead of the smooth velvety sauce I wanted--even just with the heat from the cooked pasta.


I think that you can make a really tasty carbonara either with the traditional pancetta or ordinary bacon, though the dish turns out much differently depending on what you use. But to me, it seems to work much better if it%26#039;s in fairly thick slices before you chop it up. Otherwise it sort of gets lost in the pasta.


I%26#039;ve been wondering what to make for dinner tonight, and now I know, so you%26#039;ve done me a favor! :)|||I always use creme fraiche for carbonara. However to make it a little sweeter you can always add fromage frait, or a dash of single cream or milk.|||you can make it without cream at all, not quite as delicious but probably healthier|||Better with creme but try half cream and half creme fraiche|||The double cream is tastier|||DEFINITELY go with the double cream.|||yes you can. cheat method is :-


put the pasta on to cook.


soften some chopped onions and then fry off the chopped bacon. drain off the water in the pan and stir in some creme fresh. make sure warmed through and serve with the pasta. it%26#039;s lovely, reduced fat and really quick. you can stir in an egg yolk in the last minute of cooking the sauce to thicken and for the carbonara authenticity.


yum.|||Can do Soya Dream instead of Cream





Or half Cream and half Creme Fraiche





Or half Yoghurt and half Creme Fraiche|||Ooooh, creme fraiche in a carbonara is delicious. Much better than using cream in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment